While this may not be a comprehensive checklist of things to do before you move, it's a start. Tasks listed here may remind you of other important details unique to your move.
Four weeks prior to move
- For all LoanStar owner occupied purchase loans you will receive an email to opt in to our Moving Starter Package* closing gift – a gift certificate to a local professional moving company to help you move into your new home! Check out this video for more details!
- Once you have opted in by our email invitation, the next step is to schedule your move with one of our local movers - some restrictions apply, so make arrangements early! - Moving Package Detailed Instructions.
- Invite family and friends to help you with the move.
- Have a garage sale.
- Donate un-needed furniture to charity.
- Contact insurance company to transfer policies (life, auto, homeowners).
- Contact doctors, dentists and other care providers for copies of medical records,
- Contact schools for copies of student records.
Three weeks prior to move
- Review tax deductions on moving expenses.
- Arrange cut-off date for utility companies (telephone, gas, electricity, water, garbage, cable television).
- Request change of address kit from post office.
- Check out voter registration information for the new area.
Two weeks prior to move
- Transfer stocks, bonds, bank accounts and contents of safe deposit boxes.
- Prepare a list of clothing and essentials that will not be packed with household goods.
- Confirm what time family and friends should be available to help.
One week prior to move
- Find or purchase boxes for the move.
- Label all sides of boxes for easy reference later (when they are all stacked together).
- Include room identification in the label (e.g. kitchen or kid’s bedroom) to make the unloading process easier.
- Label items you will need to access easily and place them in a separate room or closet.
- Clean out your refrigerator and let it air out at least 24 hours before moving.
- Drain outdoor equipment: Water hoses, propane tank from BBQ grill, gas and oil from lawnmowers.
- Properly discard aerosols, paint, oils and other flammable or toxic chemicals at your local hazardous waste center.
- Schedule with utility companies to have utilities turned on at your new home.
- Get snacks and water for family and friends to munch on during the move. Everyone will stay energized—and hydrated!
- Remember, items packed last will be unloaded first, so if you'll need to access something right away pack it last. Definitely remember to have bathroom tissue and paper towels in a convenient place.
- Include time for snacks, water, and food during the day for you and helpers.
- Conduct a final review of the house, including attic, stairwells, closets, cupboards, storage, garage and behind doors.
- If nothing else gets put away, at least set up beds in each room. After a long day of moving, you'll want a comfortable, familiar place to sleep. Everything else can wait.
*Moving Package is offered to all clients that close a owner occupied purchase transaction with LoanStar Home Lending. Valid for 60 days after closing date. Cannot be redeemed for cash value. Some restrictions apply. Non-transferrable. One certificate per purchase home loan closing. Gift Certificate terms vary by location and preferred moving vendor but generally include labor, a moving truck for three or more hours, and a starter package of moving boxes, tape and a marker. Preferred vendors do not service most rural areas. Contact the moving vendor for more details and services available.